Thursday, January 12, 2017

Copying the Contents of a Cell to the Bottom of the Column

I find it really annoying when I'm working in a large spreadsheet and have to copy a formula that I just entered all of the way down to the bottom of the column. Mind you, this isn't much of a problem if the spreadsheet only goes down to the bottom of the screen, but I often work with spreadsheets that contain information on students in multiple buildings; this can mean that I'm dealing with thousands of rows of information. Having to click on the "auto fill" cursor (you know, the little plus sign in the lower right hand of the cell) and drag down through thousands of rows can be a real pain...if only there were an easier way.

I recently found out that there is, indeed, an easier way to copy a cell's contents, whether it's data, or a formula, from the cell where you enter it, all the way to the last row that contains information. In this example, I wanted to find the mean score for all students based on their three assignments. In cell E2, I entered the formula to find the average of the three assignments. Once the mean score was calculated, I hovered over the lower right hand corner of the cell until the cursor turned into the "auto fill" cursor and double clicked. That copies the information in the cell and pastes it all the way down to the last row that contains information, in this case, row 31. This works for formulas and basic data.



Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment